Dental Health Expert Forum
new bottom denture problem

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

new bottom denture problem

I got 6 bottom teeth out last wednesday and got a new bottom denture in there place...its a full bottom denture. However it is just so wobbly..I have been back to dentist and he says to give it another cpl of weeks as my gums will shrink more so what should I do in the mean time? I am finding it really hard to eat anything. And being a younger person the appearance bit of them wobbling about upsets me too.

I have been taking it out at night as suggested by the dentist but when I go to put it back in the morning, it takes me ages to get used to it again.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Lower dentures are difficult to say the least especially immediate dentures. At this point I would use some sort of denture adhesive. I would also suggest that in the near future that you consider placing at least two implants and having an overdenture made.The difference is like night and day and will prevent the loss of bone on the lower jaw. This loss will occur every year no matter how well the lower denture fits.The lower you have now will have to be relined and the longer you can wait for the tissue to heal and shrink the better off you are. The denture is a prosthesis like an artifical limb and there is a learning curve to wearing it. You have to learn your limitations, what you can or cannot do and how to wear it. Your tongue becomes important in keeping the denture stable because it constantly wants to dislodge it.
I hear what you are saying, but I haven't come across a dentist who performs implants in the uk where I am.

Thankyou for your advice, it is appreciated.
then you may want to travel to the US, or to another european country (Switzerland perhaps) where implants are very much the standard of care these days. Lower dentures that are not implant retained are difficult to say the least. there can be no suction (like in an upper denture) becasue your tongue is in the way and the lower jaw muscles are strong and will dislodge the lower denture
A related discussion, lower denture problem was started.
A related discussion, lower dentrue problem was started.