Dental Health Expert Forum
new partial, lots of pain

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

new partial, lots of pain

got a valplast partial a week ago, and wore it the first day but found I couldn't really chew with it in, which to me, defeated the purpose of it, it was not cosmetic, it was for better digestion and function.
the next day, when I went to put it in, there was lots of pain, so I went out and bought tooth pain swabs, and have had to use that while the partial is soaking in hot water as directed, to numb the outer gum area where the sore spots are. they seem to be divots or dents in the outer gum. the next day it was too inflamed to put in at all, had to wait a full day and then use naproxin to relief the inflammation in conjunction with the numbing swabs. it still is a world of agony putting it in 8 days later and takes about 2 hours before I can eat anything. is there something wrong, like a bur I cant see, causing this? I have to go back to the dentist today for a crown to be placed and I wonder if I should have them take a look to see whats up. I like this place, they are really nice and seem interested, but is this normal procedure with partials like this, am I being a giant baby over it when it might just stop and my gums will get used to it?
Nope, you are not.  You should definitely let your dentist know about it and let them adjust it for you to the best of their ability.  I'm sure they'll be able to explain whats going on with your denture and help to make it comfortable and usable.