Dental Health Community
nickel allergy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

nickel allergy

My dentist noted a lichens patch and told me it was probably an autoimmune reaction.  Since it was adjacent to my crown I questioned whether I could be reacting to a substance in the crown.  Eventually, I had allergy testing and It showed a nickel allergy.  I had the crown removed and a porcelain cerac Emax crown to replace it.  Within a couple days the lichens improved dramatically.
Some inflammation of the area remains and seems to have increased slightly over several months.  I question whether with wear on the new crown maybe some nickel is coming out of the crown or cement of the crown.  The dentist
says there is no nickel in the crown.  He recommends a crown on another tooth.
This concerns me considering I feel I am reacting to this present crown.
Thanks for any information you can add to this.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and welcome.
It is difficult to confirm the exact cause of your symptoms merely on the basis of this information. A complete history, clinical examination is important. Permanent crowns can be made from stainless steel, all metal like gold or another alloy, porcelain-fused-to-metal, all resin, or all ceramic. The common metals used in crowns are gold alloy, palladium, or a base-metal alloy like nickel or chromium .Metal crowns last longer since they withstand biting and chewing forces well .In people with metal allergies all porcelain or all ceramic crowns may be used however they are not as strong as metal crowns .It is best to consult your dentist and discuss your concerns. He may advise you what will be most suitable for you. Keep me posted.
Best wishes and regards!