Dental Health Expert Forum
numb toung after wisdom teeth pulled?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

numb toung after wisdom teeth pulled?
hello there i am hoping someone can answer this question for me , I had all four wisdom teeth pulled march 17th and they were highley infected but the dentist insisted we whent threw with it becasue it would get worse in time. So its only been 2 monhs since my surgery and i might be asking to soon as i have read some forums that numbness can last up to 6 months to permanment. My intire left side is still numb and almost painful sometimes. My dentist had said to take b comple pills everyday to help spead up this process of feeling coming back and i want to no if they acually speed up the process at all or if im wasting my time taking these pills (water pills) Any info on this will be great thanks.
Your dentist should be tracking the progress you make with your numbness.  It can take up to 6 months for your sensation to return.  If it doesn't return by then, then the numbness will most likely be permanent.  

I'm not familiar with nerve damage with extractions.  I don't do wisdom teeth extractions.  You might want to ask the oral surgeon in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum
You should go to an oral surgeon.  Personally, I would never let a general dentist remove wisdom teeth.  Oral surgeons deal with this procedure all day and therefore have more experience.  If your tongue is numb, it indicates that there was damage to the lingual nerve.  If it is completely numb, the nerve may have been severed....which should not have happened.