Dental Health Expert Forum
numbness

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

numbness

had a filling and the dentist gave me 3 shots of freezing the third shoot of freezing theneedle hit a nerve and I jumped ,the freezing then went away and then 2 weeks later i feel numbness in lower chin teeth and lip any ideas thanks awaiting for a answer
Tags: numbness
Sounds like there was a traumatic injury to the nerve.  The sensation should improve in that area gradually.  Are you taking any medications for it?  It may take up to 6 months for it to completely heal.
So this injury how does this happen ?? Did the dentist hit a nerve or injected to fast of the freezing ?? When the freezing completing wore off I was fine for almost 14 days then it went frozen and teeth feelo numb as well as lip chin and lower jaw ..Do you see this happen often ? How does it feel like its all good and then how does the freezing return very confused ?? I thank you so much for you advice and looking to hearing more about this p
problem with regards to my futher question ..Thanks again  Oh no Iam not on any medications is there something that I should be taking or something you could advice me ?? thanks Zaffino
So the numbness wasn't there initially but its come back after two weeks?  That's very unusual.  You may want to go back to the dentist for a follow up at this point in time.  It'll be important to document and track your progress.  A referral to a neurologist may be needed.  Usually injecting the nerve itself will cause some trauma to the nerve and result in that numbness/tingling you experience.  It seems odd that its come back after two weeks.
Hello thanks for getting back to me ...I went to get a cavity filled and the froze me the freezing came out and I felt okay I was sore on the same side of the freezing a couple days later my jaw was sore my dentist gave me somthing for the muscle Robax and told me it was because I had my mouth open wide for a long time ..but the other side of my jaw did not hurt ?? Yes the freezing came out and now the numbness is back on the same side as  the cavity my chin ,my teeth and lower gum area ..I have gone and had a Cat Scan and nothing showed up ,I didnt have a stroke or anything else going on or its not Bells palsey ..But I recieved 3 needles and the thrid one made me jump like he hit a nerve or something ..but like I mentioned the freezing came out and then returned ..please any advice I need some answers thanks again
Zaffino
Hello thanks for the advice but you did say that this sounds like a trumatic injury to the nerve.And then you said that this sounds unusal beccause the freezing came out and then returned so I did see a specialist they did a Cat Scan and nothing no stroke or any other thing ... so Iam still wondering what I should do you mention a traumatic injury to the nerve so what now makes you thing otherwise ..Please I need some honest advice my dentist I have I feel we have lost trust in him and he recommeded me to see a specailist which I did and have a Cat Scan and nothing so now what ?? No Bells Palsey what do you thing ..What is a trumatic injury to the nerve actaually mean ?? Please please get back to me lost and nowhere to turn thanks

Zaffino
I would initially think traumatic injury cause of the needle possibly hitting the nerve but I would imagine that the symptoms of numbness would be present from the day of injection until now.  I believe you said that it went away and then came back.  That seems a bit more odd to me.  So there's no official diagnosis yet?
I am seeing a neureolgist  and I was at the hosptial again they said that it could be Trigeminal nerve injuries rare but not unruling ..Last night I had some they feel like shocks to my heart that same feelig of when he hit the nerve ..Iam not sure this fits in with praoblem Iam having but its very scary ,I pray I will get some answers soon ..Iam awaiting a appointement with a neurologist as soon as they can book me in ..Please any feedback would be greatly apperiacated

Zaffino