Dental Health Expert Forum
numbness on bottom of lip on left side and to chin a week after an extr...

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

numbness on bottom of lip on left side and to chin a week after an extraction of a back tooth due to an abscess

Hi I hope you can help me ? I'm really worried as a week ago after suffering from severe toothache and not being registered at a dentist as had not longed moved to the area! I went to a dentist when the pain was excrutiating and was told that I had a big Abscess! I was give antibiotics to treat the infection and told to come back a week later! but after a few days the pain was so bad, and no sleep and ice packs against cheek were still not reliveing it that I had to go back! The dentist saw i still had some swelling but proceeded to adminster anescetic and had to do this three times as i could still feel the pain and then removed my tooth! but a week later i still have numbness on left corner of lower lip and chin! she told me originally that this was because abscess was resting on a nerve! when should i expect the numbness to go and normal feeling come back?

Avatar_dr_m_tn
Numbness lie this can last for awhile.Exactly I could not tell you but I would anticipate that it will return.
lip and gums are numb on surface but i aslso have a bump on the low part of gum between the teeth that had root canal which is painfull and very swollen
A related discussion, numb chin and lip was started.