Dental Health Expert Forum
oral abrasion from toothbrushing

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

oral abrasion from toothbrushing
being a hard brusher i switched to an electric toothbrush. unfortunatley i slipped yesterday while brushing and abbraised my inner gum on the bottom of my mouth for an area about a 3/4 inch long and 1/2 really hard. it did bleed and some skin came off.  i have been washing with peroxyl but im worried about the area.  do oral wounds form scabs at all?  the skin is coarse feeling and quite light. is that part of healing? im just worried it could get infected. its a little sore too but not swollen or soft. its on the bone and feels as hard as the rest of my gums.
I don't think it will get infected but it might take a few days for it to feel better.The mouth is a haven for many types of bacteria so the healing may take a while. There will be no scabs present. Just use the peroxide for a couple of days and let nature take its course.
ive done that a million times! keep the area cleaned, you can rinse with warm salt water and if it starts to look infected see your dentist.
A related discussion, Same thing was started.