Dental Health Expert Forum
oral bone graft infection

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

oral bone graft infection

I took 14 days of cleocin when I had a bone graft placed above my missing canine tooth for a future implant. Slight swelling remained which was dismissed but now (in 3 weeks without anitbiotic) has grown, as well as a feeling and taste of drainage. I am on 150 mg of cleocin 4 x a day for one week. I am concerned that this will not completely remove the infection. What are my options on how to  clear this up?
Thank you.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
You should discuss this with the oral surgeon or the periodontist that placed the bone graft.  Difficult to say without seeing it.
sounds like the graft may be failing. what does the surgeon/periodontist (who I'm assuming placed it) say? If you are not getting adequate answers, or you feel you are being "stalled" th n get a 2nd opinion from a different O.s/periodontist that is recommended to you by a friend or family member.
I am to take the antibiotic for one week then return for examination.
During the follow up, I will ask about the possibility of the graft failing and will probably get a second opinion.
Thank you for your quick reply.
sounds like a plan. trust your insticts. you know your body.
The antibiotic regimen you took is generally effective. Follow-up with your surgeon soon.  In the mean time, rinsing with warm salt water alternating with listerine should help keep the area clean and keep the swelling down.  Avoid pressure on the area, such as from a flipper you might be wearing.
Avoiding pressure on the area will pose a problem since I wear a retainer on my top teeth. The OS wants me to continue wearing it. I will ask when I go back to his office this week if it could help if I remove it for a few days. I notice there is more pain when I'm wearing it.