Dental Health Community
pain after root canal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

pain after root canal

I had to have an old root canal redone this Thursday. It was a molar that had 3 canals done with the first root canal many years ago but one was missed.  I had pain off and on for about 6 months with sensitivity to heat. The pain was never severe this is why I waited so long to do something about it . The Root canal was done by an endodonist. That night I started having severe pain. I couldn't even touch the tooth it was so sensitive.  They has started me on amoxicillin 2x a day.  Friday afternoon I called to ask if this is normal to be have this amount of pain. They gave me pain meds and changed my antibiotic to augmentin.  It is now Sunday night and I have been taking pain meds and advil around the clock. The pain has kept me from sleeping or being able to eat much. The pain meds have barely helped. What should I do?  I am to go have root canal completed Thursday but I can't deal with this until then.  Anyone have advice?
oh my goodness, I am going through the same thing right now, except my dentist finished my root canal on Monday, tonight is Thursday night and I am still in excrusiating pain. Same thing as you, pain meds and antibiotics around the clock. Called the dentist today, increased my antibiotics and stronger pain meds, but still in severe pain. I can't eat, I can't sleep, I am sitting here with my heating pad on high. I have a knot in my left lower jaw and the pain is now in my upper teeth, gums, jaw and ear. The root canal was done on the left lower next to last tooth. Pain is radiating to my front lower teeth and down my neck. Nothing is helping, I don't know what to do, but cry. I can't take this torture much longer. I noticed your post was back in January, so i am so desperate to know what did you do or how did you get through it? It will be monday before I can go back to see him and all of this pain and swelling is only getting worse everyday. I hope to hear from you or anyone else that is reading this on what I can do.   Thanks to any and all help.