Dental Health Expert Forum
pain from dry socket

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

pain from dry socket

i had a tooth extracted last week and now i have dry socket. i am currently going every other day to have a packing changed but the pain and soreness are terrible. when i asked the oral surgeon for something for the pain he told me to take motrin 800mg every 4 hours. that has done little for the pain and i am in agony. what else can i do to help lessen this pain.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I know that a dry socket is a very painful experince. I treat this a little differently--I see the patient every day  for about 3 or 4 days and pack the socket each day. I am sure the oral surgeon is treating you theway he feels is necessary. If the discomfort is so acute I would call him for stronger medication or further treatment.
Ohhh, I feel for you...I had dry socket but after the packing I wanted to kiss that dentist because it felt so much better. I also had some sort of pain pill that helped me through that. I was given that though when I first got them pulled and did not need them till the dry socket kicked in...Have you tried a ice pack? Maybe you need to STRESS how much pain your in...I am so sorry you hurt that bad and there is no reason for it. Talk to your dentist and maybe he can figure out why those packings arent working. Mine had to be packed 3 times. The first time it kept me out of pain for a day or so but came back so I had to go back and have it redone and they wanted me back to repack the next day. By that time it felt so much better. I hope yours kicks in soon. Good Luck to you!!!
thank you for the advice. i called the ortho surgeon this am and told the staff how painful this is. they called me back and told me to just pull the packing out with tweezers and continue taking the motrin. i asked when i was to return and she told me the surgeon said he is releasing me. not to return. when i had the teeth pulled (a total of 4) all i was given was motrin. that did help with the pain from the extractions. the surgeon's staff told me that he never gives narcotics for pain. i guess my next step is to go to the emergency room for some relief. again thank you.
What causes a dry socket????
Your surgeon must never have had dry socket or he would understand that pain. I hope your feeling a little better now.
Hi, I was reading your posts and sympathized with you. I have dry socket now too. I had my wisdom tooth pulled on Friday last week and developed dry socket over the weekend..........holy ****...EXCRUCIATING PAIN. I called my surgeon on Monday morning and went in to have it packed. As of right now, I have already taken out the packing myself......I couldn't stand the taste. I have to tell you, he had given me Percocet. I have only taken 2 of them since Friday. What gives me the best relief is Advil. I was taking Tylenol all weekend and on Monday the surgeon said get Advil. Well, I did and let me tell you.......MIRACLE. I take 2 liquidgels every 4-6 hrs for pain and it really helps tremendously....almost pain free. Try it......I hope you feel better too......and I hope and pray that we never get this dry socket thing EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!
Tammy
A related discussion, dry socket was started.