Dental Health Community
pain off and on after rooth canal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

pain off and on after rooth canal

i had root canal done 3 weeks ago.  The pain is still off and on. My dentist took all 4 canal out of one bottom mollar.  at first it was painful but i took ibuprofin and i felt better, after about 3 days pain came back. it's like dull pain,  i went back to my dentist, he said it's still in process of healing.  By the way did finish my antibiotic.  Now is the third week, start yesterday again, the pain is so severe that i felt part of my head is numb. i was going to go emergency, but i just slep through it and cry. i did take ibuprofin and nothing help.  i finally decided to take vicodine and it help after several hours.  What i don't understand, there are no nerve to be hurting, i do understand there is discomfort, but not after two week and half already, the pain shouldn't be this bad.  I went to a different dentist and took x-ray, and root canal looks good.  Please help, i am so irritating of the pain and don't want to go back to dentist over and over and nothing have been found.
Id get another opinion, seriously. Im in my 4th week after a root canal...i had a root canal done and about 5 days afterwards, I THOUGHT I WAS DYING! i had the most intense pain, worst dental pain of my life. went back in and aparently there was infection before the root canal which was undiagnosed on the xray...he said i had a chronic infection 9which means its long lasting and doesnt hurt) that went accute (painful flare up) after the root canal and he said the root canal looked good and to give it more time to heal but due to the infection and huge knot in my cheek he put me on both an antibiotic and methylprednisolone (a steriod antiinflammatory becasue the inflamation (inflammation) being so bad the antibiotics wouldnt work by them selves) anyways i finished out my 7 days of those but the tooth still hurt to tap it or touch the gum where the root was.

not satisfied after exactly 3 weeks, i ASSUMED the root canal was failing. so i made a apt with an endo/oral surgeon. i went in for the consult and exam...he did new xrays and all sorts of test. he said the root canal looked fine but he said hed give it another month or two to let it heal 9i was shocked cus ive had 3 other root canals and they didnt hurt afterwards),,,he examined the hard knot in my cheek, next to my nose and pushed on it and pushed on the gum where it was...im alking a quarter sized knot next to my nose...WELL GUESS WHAT!!!!! the very next day the lump ruputered and drained on its own..turns out I had an abcess (abscess) post root canal and it was missed in the xrays cus it was in my cheek bone...anyways it was immediate relief of all pain when it "popped",,,i called the endo/oral surgeon and he but me on clindamycin (super storng cus the penicillin wasnt strong enough)

im 4 days on the new antibiotic and the pain is gone...even though my reg dds said the root canal was fine I still felt i needed another opinion from a specialist...and he confirmed what the my general dds said...they both said "every tooth is diiferent and some root canals take months to stop hurting"...im 4 weeks into POST root canal and am on meds but the tooth isnt 100% pain free...but its way better...so be patient and if ya have a hunch like i did get another opinion...
Post-op pain of canal obturation is not uncommon. However, the pain tends to subside within 24-72 hours. Some pateints may feel sensitive to pressure for a week or two. Seeing an endodontist to evaluate the quality of canal obturation is advised.if no identifiable cause of pain, seeing an orofacial pain specialist is warranted.