Dental Health Community
paper-thin front teeth, bad bite due to worndown back teeth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I am in a pickle now!!  My front teeth are already worn away inside due to teeth grinding over decades and worndown back teeth. Now the back teeth do not really meet anymore and my lower teeth grind into the upper ones. I had orthodonture at age 13 and two incisors were removed from the upper teeth, now there is not enough space in my mouth to crown these sensitive front teeth. The dentine is already exposed, I have chewed through the hard enamel without knowing it. In Germany, an orthodontist wanted to redo my whole mouth to make more space above, then I should do a full mouth restoration. Another experienced specialist told me we would do the full mouth restoration and in the process of functional analysis, see how the teeth interact while chewing. He would then see if orthodonture was necessary. He said there are few functional analysts such as himself, and that without precise functional computer analysis, I would have trouble (that is, if another dentist restored the teeth without functional analysis). He had very high rates and could give me no estimate. Now I am going to a dentist who has already given me a protective guard to wear at night on the front teeth. She plans to raise the height of the guard progressively, to be sure my jaw can handle it, then put caps on the teeth of ample height so the back teeth meet again. I do not know what experience she has (she has said she has treated one patient with something simliar). She put a filling in one of the front teeth that partially came out when my lower teeth bit into my upper front teeth. Now this tooth has a corner which is really paper-thin!
Is it true that functional analysis is so important? Is the procedure of building up all the teeth the best way to handle my situation?  How thin can the materials for a capped tooth be?(one specialist told me they are at least 0.5 mm)
I may have a different approach from your treating dentist. Assuming youe dentition is severely worn out, minimal coronal structure remains. First , I would proceed occlusal analysis, which consists of transferring your upper and lower teeth to semiadjustable articulator. We can visualize much better extraorally. i personaly  prefer not incresing vertical dimension of occlusion. In this way, it gives us the opportunity to see how to proceed fullmouth reconstruction. If there is no room to fabricate crowns, a removable over denture may be the treatment of choice, if the dentition is really severely worn out.
I would suggest asking your dentist to demonstate you occlusal analysis first. Both you and your dentist can visualize and discuss together.
i had similar problems but with a splint i am tip top..
shouldnt cost more than a couple of hundred quid
luckily i found a cool dentist and he showed me how to make splints..
it is like a gum sheild in sport only made out of different materials,..
once fully adjusted by an occulsal specialist it is luxury..
many people who work in dentistry wear one just cos they are comfy.
once you have a hard splint over a period of maybe a years adjustment your jaw should be in the correct position.
Then they can give you some new back teeth..
And take it from there..

Oh yes, with a new splint of course..