Dental Health Community
periodontal (gum) disease Help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

periodontal (gum) disease Help

I am a disabled 45 year old woman with diabetes, COPD, MVP, PCOS, and kidney disease. I only have Medicare and NO dental insurance. I have watched my teeth and gums go from bad to worse. No mater what I've done to care for them at home, I now have periodontal disease. I've not had it diagnosed but it is obvious. I have no way to go to a dentist. Is there anything I can do at home?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
A clinical examination is extremely important before advising any treatment. Treatment of any condition depends on the underlying cause. For periodontal disease scaling, polishing, and sometimes curettage are useful. It is usually done in a series of three to four visits at an interval of almost one week. You can take care of your teeth and gums by brushing in morning and evening, and do not brush immediately after eating as acid in food can soften the teeth. There are oral probiotics and oral mouth rinses available in the market but before using them it is advisable to consult a dentist. Home care treatments may be useful once you get the primary care treatment done at a dentist’s clinic. Do keep me posted on how you are doing.
Best luck and take care!
Perhaps you did not understand my post. It is IMPOSSIBLE for me to see a dentist. We do not have "free" dental care in my area. I have to go to a food pantry at the end of each month just to be able to afford to eat.