Dental Health Expert Forum
perm crown w/ no anesthetic?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

perm crown w/ no anesthetic?

As I left my dental appt last week with 2 temp crowns on 31 and 30, I thought I heard my dentist say "See you in 3 weeks for your perm crowns - no anesthetic" I'm not sure if I heard him right, and his office is closed this week. Is this correct? I have had RCT in both teeth. I'm just worried about the gum pain - it took 5 days for the gums to stop hurting from the temps. Thanks.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
More than likely you would not need any local anesthesia. If you did it would probably be some slight infiltration for the gum tissue.
I've never had anesthetic or anything to put on a permanent crown.  It's not a painful process, particularly if a root canal is done and healed before the procedure (which it sounds like you're well on your way.)

The tooth is already completely prepped under the temp crown. He will pop it off, clean off all the temporary cement, and pop on the new crown with permanent cement.  He will then likely file the new crown here and there to adjust the bite if necessary.

It's not painful at all.