Dental Health Expert Forum
post crown dental pain

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

post crown dental pain

i cemented a crown irt 37,during reduction patient complaint of pain.reduction done under LA.now pt complaint pain in this tooth,also pain in opposing arch teeth,no high points there.what r the causes.kindly advice treatment too.should i go rct.tooth was attreted
I'm not understanding what the term attreted is.  

It sounds like a patient of yours had pain during the crown preparation procedure and now has pain on the opposing dentition as well as the treated tooth.  I would also recommend not cementing in the crown permanently if possible and evaluating the tooth in 4-6 weeks after treament.  Its possible that there is a pulpitis resulted from the dental procedure.  If the pain is persistent or does not improve, it would be a good idea to do a root canal on that tooth.  As for the opposing dentition, if there is no occlusal problems, it may be referred pain.  Is there any necessary treatment in the opposing arch?
Hopefully the sensitivity should clear up.Don't have the final crowns cemented with final cement until YOU ARE PAIN FREE otherwise if root canal therapy is necessary they'll have to make a hole through the brand new crown.If there wasn't much tooth structure to start with 2 choices are available 1.Do a crown lengthening procedure(surgical proc. that exposes more of the root structure)2.Root canal therapy that would allow a post to be placed that would replace the missing tooth struct.
Most Drs. try to make due with what's left to save the pt from these 2 procedures.
You can overprep the  teeth in which case RCT would have to be performed followed by a post.For now stick to my first remark and make sure you're pain free before these crowns are cemented for good.

Medical tourism