Dental Health Expert Forum
pressure pain upper teeth

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

pressure pain upper teeth

What can cause extreme pressure pain and a pulling sensation in my upper teeth with gum sensitivity to touch? Denstist thought is was maybe from my wisdom teeth. No obvious tooth problems otherwise. A few days ago I had an upper wisdom tooth removed and a lower impacted tooth removed on the same side where I am feeling the pressure. (thinking it may help) So far, I have not had any relief.   A few months ago I had a root canal on tooth #3 that still has not healed and is still very tender. The root canal was complicated and had to be treated at least two more times. This tooth is on the opposite side where I feel the pressure/pulling pain, but both problem areas are in the upper teeth. This pressure pain started around the same time I needed the root canal and seems to affect my upper teeth as if they were all under great pressure.  Can pain be referred across the mouth?  Before wisdom teeth removal, dentist made me a custom mouthguard. I wore it for three weeks at night and found no relief. Also went to an ent to rule out sinus problems, Dr. did not see any problems.
Any help would be appreciated. This has been going on for almost five months.
Referred pain generally does'nt cross the midline. Probably the only known referred pain crossing the midline is myofascial trigger point of sternocleidomastoid muscle. Seeing an orofacial pain specialist is advised.
Thanks for your comment
The dentist discovered I needed a crownl on my upper right molar (tooth #3) after I complained of cold sensitivity and continued pressure in my upper teeth, and then dentist discoverd two cracks in tooth. (I don't know if the pressure in my upper teeth which I began to feel a few weeks before this was just a coincidence or related to the one bad tooth. First, dentist tried putting crown on tooth and then needed the root canal after pain got worse and then infection was discovered during the root canal. I needed lots of antibiotics afterwards. Seemed this dental work caused the pain in the upper teeth to become even worse and it felt like it was spreading.  (feels like my teeth are all being pulled by a string and pulling on the nerves of my teeth, especially on my left upper teeth which is opposite of root canal side).
I will see the pain specialist if I don't get this resolved. I'm tempted to just ask the dentist to pull the bad tooth which still hasn't healed from the root canal, hoping this would solve all the problems, but then again it may not resolve the pain in my upper teeth and I hear it takes a long time for some teeth to heal after a root canal and this tooth was worked on at least three times)
This has been my only experience having any dental work done besides a few simple fillings in my mouth so I don't have anything to compare it with my own experience.
Thanks again.
A related discussion, Re: Pressure pain upper teeth was started.