Dental Health Expert Forum
puffy gums after dental cording prep for bridge

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I am wearing a temporary 4 tooth front upper bridge.  My gums were o.k. until they worked on me getting ready for making the final bridge.  The girl pushed on my gums inserting a cord several days ago and my gums are puffy
and sore.
Tags: puffy gums
It could be cause by a number of reasons.  Is it getting worse?

It could either be the temporary impinging on the gums or causing some area to trap food and creating an irritation.

We check to make sure that the cord is removed but its possible it may be left in the gums.

It could be from the trauma from prepping the teeth for the front bridge.

If it doesn't seem to improve much, I would recommend calling your dentist to see what he/she says.  They may want to bring you back to check it.

There was a tiny single strand of cotton?  It felt like a piece of sewing thread...very short piece after the girl removed the cord.  I noticed this when I got home and was able to get it off but there might be more caught up there.  I am calling the Dental office tomorrow.  Thanks.
After having dental bridges anchored in place, you have a fairly rare chance of coming down with ptyalism, an annoying but relatively harmless potential side effect of the procedure. If the crowns surrounding the bridge or the bridge itself is in contact with the Partoid gland, it will react to the pressure by producing excess saliva.