Dental Health Community
pulling a capped baby tooth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

pulling a capped baby tooth

My daughter has had a cap on her lower jaw tooth since she was 4 yrs old. It has appeared to have been loose and tonight she thought she was pulling her tooth and just the stainless steel cap was pulled off. The small amount of tooth underneath is still inplace and does not appear to be loose even though she has pulled the ones corresponding to it on the opposite side. There is no pain. Will it eventually loosen up and be pulled or is this a trip to the dentist? She cannot get a good grip on it since it is so small. Thank you for taking the time to answer.
it appears that the stainless crown fell off from the baby tooth. The crown can be recemented by your pediatric dentist.
She is 10 1/2 and has had the cap for 6 1/2 yrs or so. It is time for the tooth to be pulled, soon. It just isn't loose enough yet and she cannot get hold of it bc it is so small. She has an appt monday for the dentist and to add to this, she dropped the cap on the floor and the puppy immediately ATE it,lol. Just wondering if anyone has had a child or theirselves pull a tooth by theirself after loosing a cap on the same. Thank you.
answering my own post,lol...interesting enough, my dd does not have a permanent tooth under this baby tooth(which is why it is still there and has not been pushed up and out). The dentist stated that she should, after recapping the tooth, be able to retain this tooth until she is 18-20 years of age. He has actually had a man go until he was 40 with the same situation. You learn something new everyday. She will be old enough to pay for her own dental implant at that time, perhaps. :-)