Dental Health Expert Forum
pulp canal obliteration

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

pulp canal obliteration

i'm having pulp canal obliteration(PCO) of upper central canine..its asymptomatic but the yellowish discolouration bothers me. Does vital tooth bleaching help to whiten the tooth which experience PCO?
Sorry I missed your question!

No, external bleaching would most likely not help with the internal staining caused by the PCO.  Its worth a try to see if it may help somewhat but I can't say with certainty that it'll help. I'm not sure if internal bleaching is an option but that would require opening up the tooth to get to the inside, which in itself can create problems down the road.  A veneer may be an option too and although its considered conservative, I know some people don't want to have their teeth worked on in that way.
thank you for the reply dr. I would like ask is there any absolute treatment for PCO? what is the long term complication if nothing is done to the tooth?
My understanding is that there's about a 20-25% chance that there'll be complications to PCO.  I think the odds are in favor of not treating it but rather to keep an eye on it and treat if there are any changes.

Thank you for the reply..
Pulp canal obliteration (PCO) occurs commonly following traumatic injuries to teeth. Approximately 4-24% of traumatized teeth develop varying degrees of pulpal obliteration that is characterized by the apparent loss of the pulp space radiographically and a yellow discoloration of the clinical crown.
ic.tq.but i'm wondering is it possible to see the change after almost 15 years after the traumatic injury..i lost my central canine (1'1) milk tooth when i was 6  due to fall..mature tooth grew 2 years later ( there was a delay compared to other tooth actually).. Regarding the yellowish discoloration of the same tooth, i only notice it last year (age 23)..which was exactly 2 months after removing braces.. Initially dr. suspected that it was a non-vital tooth..on my next visit she mentioned it could be PCO as the radiograph finding not very suggestive of non-vital tooth..i'm just so confused about the next step for management..
I just had my braces removed 4 days ago.  Orthodontist did a horrible job removing the remaining brace bracket glue.  Torked on my teeth multiple times heavy, with his scaler...instead of just using a finishing bur.  Then he chipped my enamel and used finishing bur to work out the "pitted" area, creating a hollow dent in one of my front teeth.

I am NOT happy, but now I have to live with the permanent cosmetic mistake in judgement this Orthodondist made by scraping so hard and putting so much pressure on my teeth.  He also left a mess of dull, unevenness on all of my tooth surfaces, of which my dentist just polished off.
AND, he heated up my tooth HOT from not using water or air while running the finishing bur on my front tooth...he even admitted it got hotter than what he wanted when I asked him about that.  Heat like that can damage Pulp permanently.

The reason I am mentioning all of this is that there is more to removing the brackets and risk to your teeth than what the Orthodontist tells you.
Perhaps something like I experienced messed up your tooth?
Was your bracket removal a good experience and did your teeth look smooth on the surfaces afterwards?