Dental Health Expert Forum
radiating tooth pain after crown

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

radiating tooth pain after crown

I had a crown put on an upper molar about 5 months ago. Since then, I have had pain that has increased each week. It aches on and off during the day and night (i live on ibuprofen to help dull the pain). The crowned tooth and now even the surrounding teeth are sensitive to hot/cold and bitter/sweet. Teeth around the crown have shifted and are our of alignment. If I rinse with salt water, it hurts. It is soooo sensitive. What could be wrong?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It sounds to me like you have a pulpitis which is an inflammation of the nerve of the tooth. This can be reversible where the symptoms abate or irreversible and the tooth requires root canal therapy. From  your symptoms I would venture to say this tooth needs RCT.I would see your dentist asap.
impossible to say what is wrong without seeing you and films. could be perio/endo/occlusion problems possibly even cracked tooth. why dont you return to the dentist who placed it? If you do not want to do that, then get a second opinion.
Thanks. Went to dentist today. He took films and carefully inspected my mouth, did a bite study, and we discussed symptoms. He decided on root canal and called the endodontist (appt is for Thursday). The dentist showed me the film and although the tooth root looks okay (no black area of abscess), there is a "white ring shadow" above the tooth root. He said that is indicative of a sinus problem. He asked if I had a cold or sinus infection but I haven't had any cold or nasal drip for years. Anyhow, I am looking forward to getting the RC treatment and relief because I have been living on ibuprofen and it isn't working anymore. The dentist said I shouldn't have waited so long to come in but I waited until pain was constant and continual because I thought it would go away. After the root canal, he said we should make a "bite guard" because he says I am grinding too. I have had the same dentist for 30 years. He is a good guy so I am trusting his judgment.
Just got back from endodontic. He did a root canal on the upper right crowned molar at a cost of $1275. He also gave me a tablet of pencillin before I left the office and a prescription to fill for a week of penicillin. He had to drill through the crown but the crown survived the procedure (it is porcelain on metal). He said his x-rays showed an infection and it was forming an abscess and would soon be attacking the roots of the teeth. Good thing I went in. He said I should make an apt with the dentist in about 3 to 4 weeks to get crown properly sealed. He said the tooth needs about a month to see how it survives the procedure and be sure the root canal has worked and eliminates symptoms. I'm grateful for this website because it motivated me to get treatment, otherwise, I might still be suffering.