Dental Health Expert Forum
receding gums, strep throat, blister on lower lip

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Hello, i was diagnosed with strep throat  and have been given amoxicillin to take twice a day for ten days. I noticed my gums are receding and making it very painful to eat, brush my teeth, etc. I also have a blister on my bottom lip, which I've never had before so could i possibly have an std? Or is this all caused by the strep and should go away with the antibiotics?
Are these receding gums new?  

Is the blister a small pimple you can pop or is it more of a cold sore/canker sore type?

When was your last dental visit?
Yes, the receding gums are very new. They started around the same time as the strep throat. The blister is a small pimple and my last dental visit was about two or three months ago.
I would recommend seeing your dentist to get it checked out.  

Its probably not related but it may by worth finding out for sure.  The blister may be a canker sore or cold sore that's triggered by the stress from the strep throat possibly.  

As for the receding gums... that I'm not sure.
I am facing the same problem but i used enziclor gel to reduce my swelling and pain. Its perfect.