receding gums cleaning
Is it recommended to get a cleaning from a hygienist if you have receding gums? Will the cleaning from a hygienist make the receding worse or better? I already have an appointment for a periodontist but am going to see a hygienest from my dentist before the periodontist.
Hi there,

In cases of mild gum recession deep cleaning the affected area may help. During deep cleaning there is tooth scaling and root planning. In this procedure plaque and tartar built up on the teeth and root surfaces below the gum line is  removed with smoothening of the exposed root area .This prevents  bacterial contamination. If there is excess loss of bone and pockets gum surgery may be needed. The procedure of cleaning should be done by a person experienced in doing it. Whether cleaning by a hygienist will be helpful or not can be decided only after consulting your dentist. Do consult your dentist.
Best wishes and regards!