Dental Health Expert Forum
red painful roof of mouth

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

red painful roof of mouth

The roof of my mouth is red and very painful.  The redness and pain is only located on one side of the roof of my mouth.  The area also does not feel smooth like it normally feels with my tongue.  It feels like there are tiny little bumps.  I'm not sure what this could be since I haven't done anything I could think of to aggravate the area and I haven't kissed anyone or had any kind of human contact within the area.  I'm having the hardest time eating things, even rice because the area is so sensitive.  Do you know what this may be and how to resolve this?
  • Mouth hurts (2 replies):
    Hi Im a 33 year old female having some weird mouth stuff...[more]
So no history of trauma such as pizza burn or hot liquids?  Thats the most common cause of pain in the upper palate.  If not, perhaps an allergic reaction to something you ate that may have irritated the area.  

Another possibility could be shingles.  You may want to see your dentist or physician to have the area checked out if it shows no improvement.

I get a sore palat in the bak of my mouth sometimes from give oral sex to my husband.  I gurgle with salt water and that seems to hep my sores when i get them.  You mite try this.