Dental Health Expert Forum
root canal and pain

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

root canal and pain

I had a root canal done almost a month back and at that time there was pain but not too bad and within a week the pain was gone. But now after almost a month the entire jaw where the root canal was done is hurting and it seems to be accompanied with some pain in the temple on that side of the head and pain in the ear too. So I was wondering is this is normal?

Another question that I had was how long can I go before I I absolutely need to cap the tooth with a crown? Temporarily can the tooth be capped with something else?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
You should not be in pain and the tooth should be looked at. I do not know how badly broken down the tooth is, but I would be concerned that you take the chance of fracturing the tooth and the possibility that it would have to be extracted. I am more concerned that you have no discomfort before you restore the tooth.
Sorry to hear you have this ongoing problem. It sounds like the same symptoms I am experiencing. In fact, just got back this p.m from having a second root canal completed on an upper tooth #3 which had been initially started  on May 24.

The endodonist's procedure is to open the tooth, fill it with temporary medicine and then wait four weeks until he permanently completes the treatment. He explained that this gives the tooth a chance to "settle down" and heal.

The first  root canal on #30 tooth was done on May 21 and then about five days later I started getting pain in the tooth area and thoughout my jaw area and into my ear. I went back to my endodonist who said it was not the tooth and then referred me to an oral surgeon/Maxillofacial dentist who said I was having jaw spasms due to the fact that I had two root canals done just a few days apart and my mouth was open for so long. He then treated it with Ibuprofen 800mg three times a day and Valium 10 mg at night (for the spasms) and moist heating pad directly to the jaw.  It did get better for a while but now it has started again.  I still think it is my tooth that is not right but today when I went to complete the second root canal I mentioned that the tooth area aches and my jaw and up into my ear is still hurting. The endodontist insists that the completed tooth looks good and there is no reason why that tooth area should be aching and that I should go back to the oral surgeon.  I feel like I am between a rock and hard place. I had never had any jaw problems until I had these two root canals done.

I don't know if this information will help you but I hope you will feel better soon.

I can't believe that there are more people out there with the same problem as I have been having. My rc was done back in March on #30 and I still have pain from the tooth to my ear (severe) and up to my eye. They will now do another rc to see if that helps but I think I may be headed for an implant. Hopefully your problem is resolved. Can you update me on what has been going on since your last post?? This is unbelievably frustrating....