Dental Health Expert Forum
root canal complication

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

root canal complication

I had tenderness is my gum far above the tooth. A root canal was done. Four canals that criss-crossed one another showed on the X-ray. One day after the procedure I had severe swelling. Penecillin was prescribed that alleviated the swelling, but the tenderness in the gum has remained for a month now since the root canal treatment. It is in the same spot as before the treatment. The only option presented now by my dentist is extraction. Are there any other possibilities to save the tooth?
You may want to consult with an endodontist (root canal specialist) and see what are some possible options.  They may consider re-doing the root canal or possibly an apicoectomy in which they remove the tip of the root if there's an infection in that area.