Dental Health Expert Forum
root canal repair

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

root canal repair

I had a root canal done in 2005.  several weeks ago I started getting very much pain in that same area.  I went to the dentist they took an x-ray and said he did not go down far enough.  My only choices were to pull it or have another root canal which might correct it.  Should a root canal repair be as much as a new root canal.  The Dentist
who did it is no longer in this area.  

Thank you Patty
Actually, usually a root canal retreatment is more expensive than the initial root canal I think.  

redo's would likely cost more because you have to remove all of the filling, and then basically perform the root canal from scratch.

Although likely not the case, short fills can be characteristic of the use of a material commonly known as "sargenti paste".  They also have high failure rates.  Sargenti Paste contains formaldehyde as its active ingredient and lead and mercury.  It can cause all kinds of problems, immediate or delayed.  Go to an endodontist (not general dentist) and have the original root canal evaluated.  If it is Sargenti Paste and were my tooth, I would have the tooth extracted.