Dental Health Community
rough composite surface

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

rough composite surface

Hi, could the composite that the crown is made out of be the problem?  I have a filling in the back of my mouth that smells.  When I was young I had a temporary false tooth that also smelled, all over its surface.  In both cases the material used feels rough, and probably harbours bacteria so it's not surprising it smells most of the time except just after brushing.  The current filling is right back in the molar and I think the dentist has used one of the cheaper/less cosmetically good composites that are adequate for use far back in the mouth (maybe ionomer cement?).  Has anyone else had any experience with a smelly rough tooth surface?  It really puts you off getting anything done to your teeth at all.  

This discussion is related to Bad smell near crown.