Dental Health Expert Forum
salivary gland or tooth problem?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

salivary gland or tooth problem?

About three months ago I developed an ache in my lower jaw.  Went to my dentist who took x-rays and said everything looked okay.  Both back molars have crowns on them.  Saw endodontist who also said everything okay.  None of the teeth hurt - just the jawbone under them.  

I saw an ENT who thought it might be a salivary gland stone as I have some swelling in the area when I eat.  Antibiotics did not help.  X-rays and CT scans showed no stone, but he incised the duct and dilated it anyway. Said x-rays did not show stones 20% of the time.  It got infected - another round of antibiotics and two weeks later I am back to where I started from.  Now he says my options are to live with it or have the gland surgically removed.  The gland hurts when I eat but the swelling goes down in between.  I do still have a constant low-grade ache in the area, however, which is making me crazy.  Would a salivary gland problem ache like this all the time?  I thought it was just specific to mealtimes but I know the nerves in this area can do strange things.  I am worried the antibiotics are masking a chronic dental infection - although x-rays were negative.  Is there anything else I can do to get a definitive diagnosis short of removing the gland and seeing if it fixes the problem?  If I could see a stone I would have the surgery in a minute, but I don't want to have an unnecessary surgery and end up with the same problem or additional ones.  I realize no one can make the decision to have surgery but me, but is there anything else you would recommend investigating before making this decision?