Dental Health Community
scott..your not going to believ this one! resin problem still persists!...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

scott..your not going to believ this one! resin problem still persists!

hi scott
i had numerous calls of different dentists to help me and ended up seeing my regualr dentist who filled this tooth..he told me he is not doing anything and that its been cured and that its my stomach,telling me i have acid reflux! lol i have had that here and there..its not that..this started oct.10th and its still here..he took an xray and the tooth is fine with the root canal that was done..he used the bonding light six times around the tooth just to appease me..would that do anything if it wasn't completely cured?  i know he has used this stuff on me for front root canal tooth that he had to drill through my one piece bridge but it was tiny..another thing it may be..what do you think if the crown was fused with metal..do you think its the metal component thats not compatible  with the resin?  yesterday i thought it was getting better..last night it woke me up again and all day today its metallic and sour..im desperate ..my dentist said any dentist would take your money and refill it and he wasn't sure if it wouldn't occur again..
is there floride in most of these resin materail? im allergic to flouride..im really trying to figure this out..my periodontist told me to tell my dentist to do a porcelain inlay and his response was that he still has to yse bonding material for the inlay and why should i pay alot of money for more work that may fail because of this issue..i say no to gold and silver..he does not use that anymore.   what do you think? i am doing a three week show and i need this out this week..i called a holistic dentist to see what he thinks it could be..thanks again for all your help..
It appears that the endodontically treated tooth is not crowned yet.The unleasant taste appears to come from restorative material.At this time, you can ask the dentist to get available filling material which is cured extraorally and place in your mouth ,. With this test, it can identify which material is not causing unpleasant taste.If the tooth is going to be crowned, amalgam core will not cause any harm. There are a variety of filling materials. Namely, amalgam, composite resin with or without fluoride, glass ionomer,zinc phosphate cement, polycaboxylate cement, resin cement, etc. If the tooth is going to be crowned, the restorative material is quite limited. Namely, gold alloy , titanium alloy, semiprecious or base metal alloy, porcelain fused to metal,and full ceramic .You can always try one of these material in your mouth to perceive if the material is compatible or not. Once the chosen material does n't cause unpleasant taste, it can be assumed that it 's probably o.k to place in your tooth.
thank you..this crown i have is brand new..it was drilled inside to do the root canal..all my dentist did was fill it with bonding resin material and thats it and not replace anything..he didn't offer a new crown or a porcelain inlay. he said i  probably have gerd (reflux) ...this bad sour metallic taste began the day he filled it. a little bit stubborn here!  it happened the day i got the filling..one last question..he took the curing light and placed it all around this crown..he did not remove the filling ..can it work when a filling has already been cured? . im going to this dentist who graduated tufts in 1978..he has been practicing along time and decided to do the holistic approach for hypersensitive patients..do you know about the blood test that they do to test for allergies? i hope this resolves this issue and future ones. its a pain in the butt!  i cannot believe how teeth problems can actually disrupt your life.  thanks so much valerie
Once the composite resin is cured by curing light, further curing probably has no effect on chemical and physical properties. Unpleasant taste caused by a dental material probably has nothing to do with hypersensitivity. If a tested material  does'nt induce hypersensitive response, it could still provoke unpleasnat taste. If I were your treating dentist, I would get a  variety of set( cured, hardened)filling materials, and let you taste if one is compatible with your tongue taste.I believe there must be one or some filling material causing no problem.
it seems to be fading and getting better,,i have an appointment with a holistic dentist tomorrow..they do testing there to find out whats compatible with your body ..im sure its just a consultation and im hoping i can keep this filling because the taste seems to be fading..why would my dentist treat me like that? a little bit insensiitive.. he was a bit indignant and treated me like i was some lunatic trying to create something that wasn;t real..
Dear Scott

here is what i post to valerie. I like the idea that was post post on top for dentist have you taste the filling and see if it not good for you. Even for me the taste would seem to get better then it would come back if i drank hot or ice cold. there are food i can not eat anymore they taste so bad because of it. some taste was restore after change the fill. I feel that some taste wont get better because i have some of the composite fill in the front of the tooth see they did a root canal and fill the back of the front tooth and very small filling in the front of the tooth i think i crack so they covered it to look goog that one was not remove i still have little bad taste. they said it is hard to fix this because of were it is located. but what a difference after changing the filling. I am stilll going to insist they remove the small filling it has been several month now how can anyone one live with this bad bad taste.
here is what i post to valerie.
I am not a dentist or Doctor. I will just tell you I had a very bad experince with my one fornt tooth. I had a root canal and the place the composite filling. As i left the Dentist i had a bad taste. I thought it need time to set or dry. the next day i woke up tire sick, bones hurting, fever, bad smell, bad taste,, hard time breathing, chest pain, right eye pain, righty nostil pain & prusher,  it got worse. so i went to a Doc and they said it could be the swine flue go home let it take it course. I ask for the to please check they said not they are not testing any more this was in S. Korea. I got worse and worse. finally went to different hospital. they check my lung they said i could have cancer or sarcodisi. just before my byupsie I got belpalsy not just face the half of my body. it seem like a slow death. could not eat bad taste. So I beg please check it my tooth so they did. they said it is not. I after being there for so long. they said i had sarcodosis. but my teeth was still a problem. I move to a nother country and see a dentist there the same thing he said the tooth was great. Well I said remove the tooth or change the filling I would rather move the tooth so they change the filling. I am so glad they i have greatly improved. now i have been able to reduce my steriod before they would reduce them i would get sick again not i am in recover and allmost off the steriods. I have been on for month all because of my one tooth so please don't let it go you are your own Doctor done give up or your will lose you health like i did I do not have the stranght like before and have to live with a desease and i found on the internet there have been people how got sarcodosis from root canal witch effect the 7 cranal of the nerves or call it nerve damage don't delay.
First, and foremost, I am not a doctor. So, what I say can only be backed up by research that has been done in Europe. My mom has suffered from allergies to composite/resin for over a year. Her local allergy clinic has ordered test patches from Germany to verify the allergy. Yes, one can be allergic to dental materials. If you have an allergy clinic where you are now, have them order the patches from Germany. I am currently in communication with someone in Germany to get access to research done to show that dental materials (composite, resin) can cause an allergic reaction. It seems dentists here in the States refuse to believe it if they don't see the research. She has been to two dentists so far and they both laughed her out of the building.