Dental Health Expert Forum
sensative gums and teeth spacing

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

sensative gums and teeth spacing

I have a problem of my teeth feeling senstive.  They do not feel sensative to hot or cold.  They just have a dull pain sensation. I feel I may grind my teeth at night. I take Ambien and I sleep well but I dont know what else would cause them to feel so strange.  I do have some spacing but I have spoken with my Dentist and he says my teeth and gums are fine. I have noticed that I hold my jaw clinched a lot during the day and I always thrust my tongue against my teeth which has caused me to get blisters or a bump on my tongue.  Should I see another Doctor? Can this be a sign of gum disease? I have used magic mouth wash before for bad breath but it just numbs the tongue.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
If your dentist has x-rayed your teeth and has found no problem with your teeth or gums then it would behoove you and your dentist to look in another direction. What stands out in your description is the clenching and grinding that you seem to be doing. I think you need to address that situation with your dentist or a doctor that specializes in TMJ dysfunction. These habits are harmful to your teeth, gums and joint areas.
It may not be a bad idea to seek a second opinion. Grinding your teeth may not sound like a big deal, but it can do damage to your bone and the nerve of your tooth. X-rays can reveal if there is already bone damage. I don't think that spaces between your teeth are a problem either. Unless some of the spaces are because you have lost some of your permanent teeth. This could cause other problems with your bite. (too much to get into you really need a dentist to explain it-face to face where he can show you what he is talking about) When your teeth are naturally at rest they should not be touching. Try to make yourself be contious about not clenching your jaws during the day. I grind my teeth a lot during the night also. STRESS STRESS STRESS!!!That's probably most of my problem. Also some side affects of some meds. can cause you to grind your teeth. It sounds like that is all this is. Hey, but I'm no dentist! Maybe a prosthodontist would be a good person to go to. The specialize in your occlusal plain and what it takes to keep everything in the right spot. They can make splints that will help your teeth rest. Hope this helps!
Thank you so much for the advice.