Dental Health Expert Forum
sensitivity to heat only

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

sensitivity to heat only

I am feeling sensitivity to heat only among the teeth on the upper left side of my mouth and have had no sensitivity to cold.  Last week I went to the dentist for a check-up (the heat sensitivity started suddenly the night before---not really pain and not long lasting).  She was suspicious of a tooth (#13) but couldn't see any problems in new x-rays or as she probed it.  When the heat sensitivity continued, I went back yesterday and she found that I had a cracked filling in #15.  She removed the old silver filling, put in a temporary filling and told me to come back in two weeks to see if the tooth calmed down.  Unfortunately, I am still feeling the heat sensitivity, but it does not appear to be coming from the back of my mouth--more toward the front.  Once again, I have had NO sensitivity to cold.  I'm worried my dentist is missing something--and treating the wrong tooth.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Usually heat sensitivity is related to a non-vital nerve. Which means that the nerve is dead and root canal therapy is necessary. I would mention to the doctor that the sensitivity is coming from a tooth closer to the front of your mouth.
get an opinion from an endodontist to be sure.

typically, heat sensitivity over cold sensitivity in a tooth indicates nerve damage and a root canal treatment (rct) would be the treatment in that case.

cold sensitivity could indicate either a temporarily aggravated nerve which may settle over one day to 1 month, or crack which may need a crown and/or rc.

pain worsening after a bite typically indicates a fracture, and these do not always show on x-ray.

although....sometimes even the professional may be in error. or their philosophy may be that rct may be best now, because later, we see patients come back for it anyway.

***
my story, very short:
i cracked my tooth (molar #15) on grain of sand. my tooth was sensitive to cold and the slightest touch. there was great pain upon biting, with relief after a few seconds.

after six painful months arguing with three dentists/endodontists against rct, i was finally prepped for a gold crown. i agreed to proceed with rct *only* if pain persisted after receiving temporary crown.

at the present time, one year plus later, i have no pain at all - with only a crown!

actually, i've got the same thing happpening on the other side now.  :(

***
bottom line, consult with an endodontist. maybe even two.

remember, you might need some more time to let things heal, although the heat sensitivity may be a concern.

i have heard of "crossed nerves" where pain is reflected to different areas. have you checked with your dentist about this?

best of luck.