Dental Health Community
severe pain after root canal w/ "complications"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Hi, I am wondering if I need to seek further medical assistance due to my symptoms after a root canal procedure.  It has been 4 days since the procedure was started at my local dental school.  During the procedure I was told that they ran into complications and had to temporarily stop the procedure, they were unable at that time to place the post in my tooth as I was loosing a large amount of blood.  A temporary filling was placed on the tooth and I was sent home w/a prescription for 3 days worth of Tylenol #3 (which was useless, as it did nothing for the pain). After 24 hours I noticed that I was extremely dizzy and was experiencing horrible pain, but assumed this was normal (especially after blood loss). Over the next few days the pain became a throbbing pain, and now it is a throbbing, burning pain all through my affected tooth as well as the teeth surrounding it.  My gums are swollen on the top (where the affected tooth is) as well as the bottom, and the whole left side of my face is swollen and warm to the touch.  It is nearly impossible to eat (the root canal was in my left front tooth) due to the sensitivity of the affected tooth and surrounding teeth.  I have also developed the cold chills and nausea, and a low-grade fever that comes and goes.  I was not prescribed and antibiotics before or after the procedure and I am unable to get in touch with anyone at the dental school due to the holiday weekend.  I am wondering if it is a possible infection and have considered going to the ER, but I hesitate because I am not sure if this is just a normal reaction to complications during a root canal or not. I have never had a root canal before, much less a root canal w/complications.  I would give you more information as to the nature of the "complications," but I was not informed what they were myself (even after I asked), only that an instructor at the dental school would discuss them with me at my next appointment.  I am not scheduled to be seen for 4 more days, and I won't be able to get in touch with any one at the dental school for at least 2 more days...I don't know if I can take the pain that long! Any advice would be sincerely appreciated. Thank You.