Dental Health Expert Forum
severe tooth pain

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

severe tooth pain

I went for my regular dental appt.  I was told I had a huge decay in my r. upper rearmost molar. My dentist drilled out all the decay. She said she could see the nerve but did not hit it.  She had to do a build up on the tooth and put all medicated layers along with a temporary crown.  My tooth hurt pretty bad for about 3 days and then from time to time was a little sore, nothing bad.  2 1/2 weeks after temporary crown put on I am having severe pain.  The pain radiates up to my temple. Throbbing pain worse after eating or drinking hot or cold.  Would it be wise to just have the tooth extracted since it is the rearmost tooth?  Do I have an infection?  Why after 2 1/2 weeks did the severe pain start?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Is it the 3rd molar commonly called the wisdom tooth or the second molar?  If it's the second molar, probably worth saving the tooth assuming you have a full complement of teeth.  If you do not have an opposing tooth then you may consider having the extraction as opposed to a root canal therapy and crown.
I forgot to add one item that also happened when my tooth pain started.. I have lost what seems to be half of my hearing in my right ear.  ???