Dental Health Expert Forum
small hard painful bumps on the back of the tongue

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I would like to know what can cause small hard painful bumps on the back of the tongue?
Tags: irritable
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It might be some type of irritation of your taste buds. If it persist then a consultation with an oral surgeon is order.
probably inflamed papillae (which is normal anatomy) but best to check with a dentist.
Can you tell me more about inflamed papillae?
papillae are normal anatomy. go to the bookstore and pick up an anatomy book and look at the back of the tongue where you feel the "nodules". ON the back of the tongue there are circumvallate papillae. They can become inflamed from a variety of reasons. If the soreness persists, see a dentist or better yet an oral surgeon.