Dental Health Expert Forum
smelly tooth

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

smelly tooth
Hi. I have this nasty smell on my left back tooth. Whenever i rub it, it releases this strong stenge. I know there is a whole on my tooth and sometimes i get annoyed and pick it with a safety pin and it bleeds. I dont know what is going on! Even when i put my tongue on that tooth, i can kinda taste it. I have tried flossing and brushing but nothing works... sometimes i cough up these little balls that smell exactly like the stenge of my tooth. Are these two things related?!Is there anything i can do at home to stop it?! Your answer would be greatly appreciated!
Your best bet is to have the tooth restored so that there is no more hole.  It could need a filling or it could need more extensive work (root canal, crown?) if it is restorable at all.  You won't get rid of the smell until you fix that tooth.  Good luck.
teeth are not supposed to smell. smell means infection usually. you need to see a dentist to have it evaluated/treated and possibly removed. you may also have problems with other teeth. ayou should have a full set of films and have your oral condition explained to you.
Thanks! That really does help. I will go see a doc real soon.

THANK YOU.