Dental Health Expert Forum
sore gum behind back molar

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

sore gum behind back molar

The gum behind my back molar is sore. I floseed the behind the molar and brushed the gum too hard a few days ago I think. Now the gum is swollen. The tooth ( an old root canal tooth) is not sore nor is the gum around it. What could it be?
When was your last dental checkup and cleaning?  

Without an x-ray and the ability to see what's going on, my guess initially would be some kind of gingivitis or periodontitis.  Basically its an inflammation of the gums, possibly caused by a buildup of tartar or plaque in the area.  It could also be as you said though, which is due to some trauma or injury.  If that's the case, it should heal on its own in a few days.  If something is trapped in there, such as food or tartar, etc, then it may need a professional dental cleaning to get it out.

Hope that helps.