Dental Health Expert Forum
sore white/red bumps under tongue
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

sore white/red bumps under tongue

There are two lines that run vertically down the underside of
the tongue.They have small fleshy pieces that come off them normally, they seem to just lie flat against the tongue.On my tongue, these fleshy pieces are protruding and are becoming like a white bump on the end and a few others are just red/swollen. They are uncomfortable but not extremely painful.I have had them for over a week now.Last friday I showed the doctor and he didn't know what it was-just irritated and come back in a week if not gone.He did say is was not cancer-cancer doesn't look like that.They are still there and I don't know if I should see my dentist instead. They are annoying and I am getting a little concerned even thought the doctor didn't seem
to be worried. He said he had never seen this exact problem before.

Also, I do not smoke.
Does anyone know what this is or what caused it and would it be
better to see a dentist.
Tags: irritable
Related Discussions
I too think that it is not serious. I think what you are describing is the normal anatomy of the area that may have become irritated for some reason. I do think that you should consult an oral surgeon for your own peace of mind.
3 Comments
Blank
Today, my 10 yr old daughter woke up with a tongue problem like yours and she states the tip is numb. This afternoon, the problem is coming from underneath now, over the underside of the tip and onto the top. I think we'll see the pedi tomorrow.  Let me know if you learn anything else. Thanks.
Blank
My 10 year old saw the pediatrician the other day about her tongue problem.  He'd never seen it before, but treated it like thrush, prescribing Nystatin "swishing" 3 times a day.  In two days, it was gone-so it was a fungus/fungal.
Blank
A related discussion, bump on underside of tongue was started.
Blank
A related discussion, Weird bumps under tongue was started.
Blank
A related discussion, Tongue problems was started.
Blank
A related discussion, sore under my tongue was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank