Dental Health Expert Forum
spots on tongue, swollen tonsils with buildup

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I have been under extreme stress recently, and haven't had much of an appetite. Recently my tongue has had a thick white coating with red spots toward the front half. My tonsils are a little swollen and a little sore, with some minor white flecks. The glands on the side of my next are just slightly swollen, but not really sore. Also, I've been somewhat congested lately, but I have no other symptoms of illness/cold/allergies.

I'm pretty sure this is directly related to the stressful situation I've been in, so basically I'm just trying to figure out what treatment I should seek. I've been gargling and wiping down the tonsils. Do I need an antibiotic? My tonsils became really super swollen and painful a couple of months ago (when I was in a different but very stressful situation) but tests came back negative for mono, strep, etc. I did an antibiotic series at the time and they were still swollen but went down a few days later.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I think with the symptoms you described to me a visit to your MD is the way to go.
Also, I forgot to mention that at night lately (corresponding with the other symptoms), I seem to be sleeping with my mouth wide open, because my tongue, roof of mouth and lips are super dry in the mornings. There is usually a buildup of some kind on the roof of my mouth when I wake up.
I seem to wake up in the mornings now with a very dry mouth too, don't know why
hey if yo figue out whats wrong email me @  ***@**** as i have the very same thing
r
Two weeks ago my whole household went through a cold with a sever sore throat.  Now I have it again, but my throat is so swollen and sore.  I have body aches and when I wake up in the morning or from a nap my tongue is so dry and rough.  There is no liquid in my mouth.  Have you heard of this?  I have never had this before.