Dental Health Community
still jaw,ear and head pain 8 days after extractions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Had 7 bottom teeth extracted 8 days ago under gen. anethesia and all went fine I guess. Had an abcess (abscess) in one tooth that I have been fighting off for several months. Bleeding stopped that day but pain persisted until went to er 5 days later. Gums looked fine and no dry socket the dr thought dentist stiched up hole with no way for abcess (abscess) to drain so gave me more vicodin and amoxicillian. Pain has been and still is in face around jaw and nose then radiates to right ear and head. My ear feels like it has warm liquid in it sometimes. Pain has lessened in last 36 hours but if I even try to eat anything (soft foods) it starts to come back right away. Pain lessens but never goes away. Heating pad seems to help and my gums look nice and light pink with a little whitish stuff on the very tops. Had stitches removed yesterday at a different office (oral surgeon is 2 hr drive) and he said looks good and lay off the vicoden so not much help there. I still do salt water rinse 3 x a day. Whats the problem? Is this normal 8 days later? Should I be doing anything?
I have similar pain from having fillings refilled after a shot of novocaine.  My dentist said the needle must have touched a nerve.  Maybe in doing the dental work, yours touched a nerve?

For me, it seems like doing anything makes it worse.  Sometimes it's tempting to rub a sore spot, but with this, it might make it worse.  Do you feel better when you first wake up, before you talk or eat, etc.?  
This morning I felt better when I woke but by noon it was back just as bad. I am also getting what feels like a sore throat but also only on the right. I just dont get it....right now my jaw joint area on the right aches, my right ear hurts and feels warm and moist like and my throat hurts on the right. Im calling the oral surgeon tommorrow and then my doctors office I guess because this is kinda crazy. I cant eat,drink or even talk without a good amount of pain. The oral surgeon never mentioned any problems and I was knocked out so I wonder if there were problems not mentioned......Any better for you yet?
That sounds exactly like what I've had--pain in all the same places and ways.

I went back in Thursday and got a steroid pack and a follow up appointment for this Wednesday.  The steroids made a huge improvement!  Way more effective than narcotics, even the big boys.  The steroids taper off, so I'm starting to feel some pain and that tingling in the jaw like being overstretched.  I'm hoping I can get another round if I still have pain when I go in again.

The steroids are anti-inflammatory and relieve the nerve irritation.  The theory is that the nerve will heal some while you get the pain relief, and you will feel better by the time the steroids are gone.
I am still having the same throat and ear pains so I went to the Dr today. I do have an ear infection so she gave me ear drops and antibiotics. I do find it odd that after all the antibiotics I took before during and after these extractions that I have an ear infection. Also odd that the last ear infection I had was as a little girl.....about 30 years ago! Good luck to you and I guess it wouldnt hurt to be checked for ear or throat infections as I never even thought that would be my problem.