Dental Health Expert Forum
surgical extraction question

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

surgical extraction question

I had my 18th tooth (lower left rear molar) broken up and removed by an oral surgeon on Monday morning 5-6-13.  it is now 5-11-13 and i am still in massive agony.  It hurts as bad as it did monday afternoon.  I am on 2 perscription narcotics for the pain, but they barely touch it.  i am lucky to get 1 1/2 hours of relief and i am not supposed to take them but every 3-6 hours.  is it normal for the pain to be this severe this far out from the extraction?  i can understand some pain, but this is excrutiating pain, enough to make me miserable and unable to do anything.  should i contact my dentist on Monday or should i try and get to an emergency clinic to be seen?  i am just in so much pain i can not take it anymore.
You may want to find an emergency clinic and get either a stronger prescription and/or a combination drug regimen started.  Antibiotics may be needed too.

You should also contact your dentist at the same time to see if he can discuss the situation with you and/or see you over the weekend.
thank you, i will try and get into an emergency clinic, not sure they can give me anything stronger than the percocet i am on but would sure like to find out, i would love to have some relief, and hopefully i can get back into the oral surgeons office first thing monday morning.  thanks again.
There are certain combinations of pain medications that can be taken together to help with pain also but you'd need a doctor to figure out if its safe for you and what combination would work best.