Dental Health Expert Forum
swelling several months after wisdom teeth extraction

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

My daughter had her wisdom teeth extracted several months ago. Her swelling diminished cosiderably after her surgery but I don't believe that her cheeks are back to thir normal size. Is it unusual to have swelling remain 3 months after surgery? She had all 4 extracted which were all under the bone. She also is a small framed individual.
I would think that if there is actually swelling after 3 months that it should be looked at.Bony impactions can be traumatic but is it actually swelling?
I have a question.  I have to get the same procedure and I want to know does your daughter have permanent numbness from this because the dentist told me that there is a 1 percent chance of having permanent numbness from this procedure.
My daughter has not experienced any numbness. We went to the oral surgeon and he extracted bony spicules from her surgery site. He said it wasn't uncommon to see especially following a difficult surgery. She is instructed to brush vigorously around the site on both sides to and to swish w/ salt water to help dislodge any additional bony spicules. She is still rather swollen but I hope it is just her body tryng to "fight" the foreign matter. Good luck to your daughter. MLS
What else could it be if it isn't swelling? ML
A related discussion, wisdom teeth swelling was started.