Dental Health Expert Forum
swollen cheek, inside of gums

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

swollen cheek, inside of gums

hi. i woke up  yesterday  with a  swollen cheek and  made a appointment to see a dentist.
upon arriving to the  dental office  , i was  taken  in for  xrays .  
the  office  prescribe  cephalexin  and  said the doc was out of  town but would be  back  Tuesday and i would need a  root canal.

my thing is  that today  i woke up  with my  cheek even  worse and  i was  wondering is  there is  anything  i can  do to make the  swelling  go down.  

also how long does it  take for the  medication to start taking  effect  
If it is an abscess, the antibiotics should reduce the swelling in about a day or two.  It takes a little while for the antibiotics to work.  As for the swelling, the antibiotics should do the trick.  Just be a little patient.  If the symptoms worsen though, you may want to see your dentist again.