Dental Health Expert Forum
swollen cheek 4 months after wisdom teeth removal

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Hello, My daughter had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed over 4 months ago.  She got dry socket and then was well on the road to recovery with almost all the swelling gone.  At about the 12 day mark she woke up with a sore and swollen cheek.  The oral surgeon said it was caused by infection and put her on a course of amoxicillin for ten days.  At the check up he said it was looking better and renewed the prescription. Ten days later we got the same advice and he upped the prescription to augmentin.  When she still had swelling he decided he had to open up and drain her gum and did so.  He said it did drain but there was no pus and no sign of infection.  (We are now at 3 months post surgery).  He said the swelling would disappear and instructed her to continue to rinse with warm salt water.

It is now 4 months-her cheek is still swollen down by the jaw -about the size of a large grape.  We will be seeking a second opinion but I would love to hear any possible thoughts anyone might have
I find it very odd that its still swollen as well.  I think the second opinion would definitely help.  Have you consulted with the original doctor again to let him know that its still swollen?  

Did they take any follow up x-rays or anything to evaluate the site?