Dental Health Expert Forum
swollen gum with pain around tooth and nose

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

A year ago I had a crown placed on a front tooth that had broken, before the crown I had a root canal.  Now, my gum is a deep red and swollen and sore, and my tooth is very sensitive.   When I press around the edge of my nose I have extreme pain in my tooth.  I remember the entist telling me before my root canal that this was caused becasue of the infection in my sinus cavity.  This pain has been getting worse over the last two days.  Is this an infection? and is this an emergency situation that I should contact my dentists emergency line?
Yes.  If the pain is extreme and there's some swelling, it would be best to get some pain medication and antibiotics started to control any problems you may have with the infection of that area.  

I would have the dentist re-examine the area.  It may need another root canal or an apicoectomy.