Dental Health Expert Forum
swollen gums and hurt throat

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

swollen gums and hurt throat
my gums are swollen, they don't bleed and the back of my throat hurts, my husband had this a couple years ago and they never figured out what it was and now it's happening the same to me they just start swollening up slowly till it's the whole mouth, i'm a regular brusher and use listurine, lately i've been brushing at least two times a day and us mouthwash all day to keep it clean but it just doesn't seem to be going down, my husband said that his lasted a month and it got so swollen he couldn't shut his mouth all the way. if you have any idea what it is or how to get rid of it i would love any help thanks
I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to describe. Two things I would suggest, I think you should see an oral surgeon for a diagnosis and secondly I would cut down on the amount of mouth wash you are using.
I am currently suffering from same symptoms (sore throat, same side as swollen gum) please let me know if and how you found some relief. Thanks!
i had the same thing in feb 06.  the sore throat was very painful and the gum bleeding was bad.  come to find out it was a bacterial throat infection.  the weirdest part was that i had strep many times over the years and it never caused the swelling in my gums and the bleeding.  after the second or third dose or antibiotics, my gums were practically back to normal and of course my sore throat and the pus covering my tonsils started to clear.  i am going back to the doc today because as luck would have it, the same exact symptoms are showing a year later.  hope this helps.
last year i had a growth removed from my gums.Has since returned.recently i have had a sore throat on and off (i just thought it was the cold season). i was diagnosed with a bacterial infection in my eye on 1-2-07 (happy new years to me) after reading the comments i'm wondering how many of my problems are related. i'm on an antibiotic for the eye and i have surgery scheduled for feb 9th. i'll let you know if they give me specifics as to if the gums and throat are related.
A related discussion, swollen gums was started.
A related discussion, oral cancer was started.