Dental Health Expert Forum
swollen gums next to extraction site

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

swollen gums next to extraction site

About a week and a half ago I had an upper wisdom tooth removed. It had come in a few years ago, but got chipped and the nerve was exposed, hence the need for extraction. The extraction site itself seems to healing fine, but the gums around the tooth next to it are swollen and very sore. The dentist put me on antibiotics (ees), but after 4 days, the swelling and pain are no better. The dentist said the swelling was just trauma from the extraction, and not to worry, just keep taking meds. I'm worried because, as I said, the pain and swelling are still present, and I would think that after 4 days, the swelling wouls start to go down. I don't really want to call the dentist again, because he seems to think I'm overreacting. If I am, that's fine, but would really like some imput. Thanks, Matt.
It depends on how traumatic the extraction is.  I would suggest keeping an eye on it while continuing to take your antibiotics.  If the swelling worsens, I would consider it an infection but if it remains the same, just allow the area to heal for now.