Dental Health Expert Forum
tartar/plaque

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

tartar/plaque

Yesterday, what I thought was a chip on an inner part of my teeth was actually a piece of tartar breaking off. I haven't been to the dentist in awhile due to insurance reasons but I went to the dentist yesterday and he looked at it, and now that I have it, he told me that I need to have a few scaling and planning sessions in.

I have a few questions:
1. The plaque that fell off led to a small pocket between my tooth and my gums. It feels sensitive and somewhat weak. I dont want to chew on it but I was wondering if there are any experts in here and if they think that it is in the risk of falling out. (The dentist didn't say anything and it didn't occur to me at the time)
2. What can I do between now and in two weeks when I have my appointment to treat this?
3. How much does scaling and planning hurt?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I can't say if your tooth will fall out or if it's close to falling out without seeing you or seeing an x ray.  It will feel sensitive when the tartar breaks off and also when you go back for your root planing session.  But it needs to be done, and will get better with time.  It will be sore for a couple of days after but not too bad and will get better.