Dental Health Expert Forum
temp dental bridge pain

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

temp dental bridge pain

i chose to have a dental bridge done because of an extracted tooth 11 years ago.  my dentist  prepared the two adjacent teeth for crowns.  (back lower right, space and the 3rd tooth from the back)  my appntmt was 2 1/2  hrs and felt okay afterwards.  after the anesthetic wore off, i was in terrible pain.  i called him back to see if that was normal.  he asked if my bite was okay and i said yes.  i said it was sensitive to air and hot and cold, along with pain in the whole lower part of my mouth.  he said the pain should be short lived and to take ibuprofin for the pain.  well, it is now 11 days later and i'm still taking ibuprofin 2-3 times a day (600 mg)  and it has woken me up at night and i type this now because i cannot fall asleep after taking ibuprofin.  i am supposed to get the permanent bridge put on in 6 more days and am hoping it will be better tah the temp.  right now i am really regretting doing this!!!  any advice on what i should do?   thank you...
Tags: bridge, Pain
You should contact your dentist in regards to your pain.  Usually there is some post-operative sensitivity after having the dental work done but it gradually improves.  It sounds that it hasn't, in which case your dentist should evaluate the teeth to see what needs to be done.

Your pain can be cause by many things so its hard for me to say but some possibilities include:

Poor fitting temp that may cause gum irritation or trauma due to poor bite
Deep cavities that were there originally that may need root canals done
Open margin (gap) on the temp that is exposing the teeth to air/cold/hot