Dental Health Expert Forum
'tightness' in the area where dental implant was placed

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

hello, i had an implant done 3 days ago after removal of my front upper tooth UR2, by the 'immediate loading' method. Everything seems to be fine, no pain, no bleeding etc, except for the strange feeling in my implanted tooth and the adjacent tooth UR1. The area feels a bit 'tight' ( i would describe this sensation to be similar to when i floss my teeth and the dental floss stucks between two of them causing a funny feeling of tightness). However, it cannot be caused by the two teeth pressing against each other as there is a little gap between them!  I still have quite a few stitches around and above the implant in the gum, is it possible that they are causing this?  That area also feels a little numb! Not totally numb but when i touch the gum just above the two teeth i have a feeling like I cannot feel the touch as much as i feel it with my other teeth. Is it possible that some nerves/blood vessels were damaged? is it something that could be fixed? Im very worried that something went wrong, i had this surgery in a very recommended place in the UK and the dentist has a very good reputation so i hope he couldnt possibly do anything wrong?  I realise it is still early after the implant placement (4 days) but i do know my body and i have a feeling that something is not right.

Thank you in advance for your answer.
Margarita
It may be some swelling from the implant area that's causing some pressure in the area.  Can you floss between the two teeth easily?  The crown may be a little too large and putting pressure on the adjacent tooth
Thank you for the quick answer.

Yes i can floss, and i dont think it is the crown as there is some space left between the crown and the adjacent tooth. It is getting very uncomfortable and actually i think today the pressure and numbness is worse than yesterday. Im not bothered really about the implanted tooth as it is just a screw which in the worst case can be removed. I am however very worried about the healthy adjacent tooth which at the moment feels a little numb! i would not like to lose it as well! :(  If it is the swelling from the dental implant area, does that mean that something is wrong or is it normal? I certainly cannot see any swelling outside, it may be inside the implant area then.  I take antibiotics as prescribed, there is no pain, just this discomfort. And the sutures are starting to 'pull' a little bit as well. I am currently waiting for the appointment with my dentist as i cannot leave it like this. I would like however a second opinion before anything can be done.

Thank you very much Doctor!
They may need to take an x-ray or CT scan to verify the position of the implant just in case.  The area should heal on its own though but its hard for me to tell at this point.  
thank you Doctor.

I guess the best thing i can do at the moment is booking an appointment.

Margarita
dear Doctor,

i just came back from my dentist who checked the temporary crown and my bite to make sure that the pressure was not coming from there. Then when i explained exactly how the 'pressure' feels, he said that it is coming from the implant itself which is pushing the bone and the adjacent tooth which i mentioned! He said it will go away with time and the bone will adjust to it and sometimes it is trying to move the surrounding teeth! He stated it is NORMAL (?) I really dont know what to think, i want to trust him but i heard that implants should not feel 'uncomfortable' and that too much pressure inside the bone may actually damage the bone and roots of adjacent teeth! I have a feeling that the implant or the abutment may be too big. I would give it some more time but im worried that im going to lose the healthy tooth as well or my bite will change irreparably. Please could i have your opinion doctor.

Thank you
Margarita
Has the pressure gotten any better at all?  It takes about 4-6 weeks for the bone to do some decent amount of healing and its only been about a week.  If you feel that the dentist is reputable, I'm sure you can allow it to heal and keep an eye on it.  Did he take a final x-ray or scan to check the placement of the implant?
I dont think that the pressure is getting better. I will wait another week or so but as much as im sure that the implant itself is fine and healing inside, my adjacent tooth has become a bit sensitive now. Yes, the final x-ray was taken last week after the implant surgery and the doctor said everything was fine. I am not an expert of course and i know its only been a week. I just really hope that i wont have to go through the procedure of changing the too large implant again.

Thank you doctor
Margarita
A related discussion, dental post was started.