Dental Health Expert Forum
tongue length

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

tongue length

is there any way to lengthen my tongue? i've heard of a surgery involving cutting the web-thing (sorry for my poor knowledge of correct terms), but are there any pills or anything else that would do it?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
There is no medications that will increase the size of your tongue. The lingual frenum sometimes can be excised to you greater length.
I have had the surgery to lengthen the tongue. Let me explain it to you.
My tongue was did not even come out to lick my lips. forgive my lack of medical terms but you know the little attachment under the tongue? Well that in my case was too short.
I had this done when I was about 13 years old. I believe we went to a periodentist to have the procedure. in 1990, this cost my mother 500 dollars.
the dentist and nurse are present for the surgery. you are numbed and it is imperative you remain still , the doctor cute the attachment under your tongue and repositions it in another area of the tongue giving you more tongue length.
The procedure is not long, no more then an hour but it is a little uncomfortable in remaining so still.
Recovery is tough. No eating or moving the tounge for a few days is hard to do since you need it for talking, eating etc.. and it swells very large and it is very painful. I cried a lot and I am not going to sugar coat the pain for you. It was hard. What you need to do is get liquids into the back of your throat to eat and believe me it hurts to do that.
Recovery is about a week and I had stitches after this .5 of them but in a week I was back at school and fine again. The stiches came out in three weeks and since then I have never had a problem at all. It is like it was a normal sized tongue all along.